Tuesday 24 February 2015

I prefer it on my face than in my wellies...

And no, I'm not being rude... It's just that is pretty much what my allotment is right now, a quagmire
of mud and slush... I haven't seen mud like this since The Green man festival in 2010, Christ we're sliding around like figure skaters up there and I wanted to plant my lettuces!

Yes, lettuces can be started now, either at home in pots, or how I'll be doing them, straight in the ground with my new friend, the cloche.

So, now I need to buy a new cloche, I have heard tales of Poundland stocking them, so I'll be down there as soon the sun appears and the ground has firmed a fraction, but they aren't too expensive anyway its seems, just a few quid it seems, now you can make one yourself, there are loads of 'how-to's' on line, like this one on youtube, but I am a bit lazy and although one day I might be making my own cloches, mixing my own chicken feed and even sprouting my own potatoes, but until then what the shops can do for me, I am happy to take and hell, if they're only a £1, then why not?

So my logic tells me that if I dig up a row of my over flowing spinach and put the lettuce seeds there, it might be just as successful, and I tell you when it comes to the few success stories of last year, my spinach is one massive one! As my family and my friends will testify! And this is proper spinach, not that baby leaf crap you get in neat little bags in the supermarket, these leave are darker, tastier and some have slug holes - which still can be eaten, please don't chuck these away and be a big baby, they're only slugs, you wash and boil any residual slugginess off them before eating after all!  I'll share my recipe for spinach, chickpea and chicken pasty with you later if you want? - But this is about lettuce! So lets get back to them shall we...

 So, as I said, if I dig up a row of my spinach and pop the seeds down, then hopefully one green leafy veg will be as healthy and successful as its neighbour! Sounds logical, right?

But until the land dries out and I stop leaving the allotment looking like a drowned rat, my lettuces will have to wait.

Can you get wellies for chickens?

No comments:

Post a Comment