Friday 27 February 2015

Tartiflette... Spinach style...


So I've dug up a load of spinach but decided on Tartiflette for dinner... What to do? I know! A
spinach Tarliflette... and hey why not add chorizo too, to make a weird French/ Spanish fusion? And, my god it was delicious... So here is my recipe, if you fancy a go.

You will need:
Potatoes
Onions
Bacon or Chorizo
Garlic
Cream
Brie
and lovely spinach
Oh and breadcrumbs... 
... and seasoning... and nutmeg! 

Cut up some potatoes in large pieces, they say waxy in the recipe, but just use anything you have to hand really... I'm definitely going to try this again with my potatoes... and boil for about 8 minutes until they're firm but cooked through... I know that it is hard to get them just right, but try... No nipping out for a swift fag or a cuppa... Stay and watch!

Then in a frying pan add a good glug of oil (I'm sorry, I don't really do measurements, so you'll have to guess) and slice one big, or the equivalent of, onion and a large clove of garlic. Add this to the oil when hot and fry until the onion is soft.

Then add your sliced smoked bacon - I use scissors to chop bacon, so much easier, or Chorizo if you fancy that change I mentioned and let it cook through.

Pop a large handful of spinach in to the pan and stir around - you may want to add some nutmeg at this point too you can... I did...

Then remove all of the fried veg and meat, retaining as much of the oil as you can in the pan and wack it up to full blast. When it is ready put the drained potatoes in and give them a good fry to crisp up the edges, then add the onions, spinach and meat back in and give it a good shake.

When its all evenly distributed - you actually have two options at this point thinking about it... You could carry on this way and make the Tartiflette, or you could just whisk up a few eggs and have yourself a delicious Spanish style omlette..?!  - But we're doing Tartiflette, so lets get on with that... So when it's all done, add blocks (Or as near as you can 'block' soft cheese) of brie - The recipe stated some weird cheese beginning with V that I had never heard of, but I Googled it and Brie was the nearest thing to it, so I went with that -  anyway dot that around the pan and a good glug of cream, I used a half fat double cream, only really because I had some leftover from my lemon tart gorge the night before, but use what ever you have. Season well and sprinkle with some breadcrumbs - real ones, not those golden things that look something straight out of the 70s please! - and slam under a hot grill.

Let that bubble away for a few minutes and then take it own and serve on a plate, with a bit of side salad if you fancy it... Yummers.


By the way, his is not a photo of my dish... 
I had eaten it by the time I thought about doing this... 
But imagine this with chorizo and spinach...

No comments:

Post a Comment