Saturday 28 February 2015

Started planting!

Yes, I have started planting! The rain has finally stopped and the sun is shining, yes it's still a bit chilli, but hell, after 10 mins you'll have worked up a sweat anyway and if you haven't then you're doing something wrong.

So today I planted my lettuce, radish and cabbage seeds... Cabbages are a bit of a gamble, they are notoriously hard to grow, but I stuck them in by the broccoli -  which has finally (After about six months!!) finally started to produce veg! - and then I can net the two of the off together to stop those pesky butterflies, they may be pretty, but they're also leaf eating bastards!
Very easy to plant, just prep your ground, breaking up the earth really well and adding good handfuls of fertiliser. The thinly sprinking your seeds in straight lines a decent amount of space between each line (Or just one line as I did) and cover with about 1/2 inch of earth. Giving the earth a firm but not too firm pat down (Imagine your are making short bread)  and cover with a cloche... This one is from Wilco's for £4... and is still a but shit... It does shoe that you most definitely get what you pay for!

Plant the radishes in sort of the same way, I didn't worry about the lines and don't worry about the cloche, plus they grow in no time, or so I've been told!


And the lettuce, as planned is by the spinach. It's slugs that are the enemy here... But a sprinkle of egg shells (Thank you ladies) will keep them at bay (I hope!)

These are very easy to plant, just make a well in a straight line, about a cm deep and then sprinkle the seeds down the 'isle', I did two 'isle', an Iceberg (especially for my husband and a Cos for me - then fill it in with a fine sprinkle of early and press lightly... Then cross your fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment